Convicted paedophile and former Hey Dad! actor Robert Hughes has been granted parole and will be deported to the United Kingdom.
- Hughes was found guilty of 10 sexual and indecent assault offenses
- He has previously been knocked back for parole
- His first available release date is June 14
The State Parole Authority said Hughes, 73, was granted parole as he posed a “below average risk” to the community.
Hughes has been in prison since 2014, after he was found guilty of 10 sexual and indecent assault offenses committed in between 1984 and 1990 involving four children.
The victims were aged between seven and 15 years old at the time of the offences.
Following a lengthy trial, Hughes was sentenced to a maximum of 10 years and 9 months in prison, with a non-parole period of six years.
Today, Hughes’s third attempt at parole was granted.
Hughes renounced his Australian citizenship in 2019, meaning he will be deported.
It follows a court appearance last week where his lawyer, Hannah Bruce, applied for his release saying the disgraced actor plans to “maintain a very low profile” in the UK.
In granting his parole, the NSW State Parole Authority noted that the offenses were historical and “is satisfied release to parole is in the interests of the safety of the community”.
“He no longer enjoys such power or trust, as a direct consequence of the convictions and the consequent widespread adverse publicity, notwithstanding his defiant denials.”
At the time of sentencing, the presiding judge described Hughes’s behavior as “brazen” and “predatory” and that “he abused his position of trust and exploited the naivety and youth of the children”.
Today’s determination has ruled that Hughes will be subject to the standard parole conditions, including that he must be of good behavior.
He is also subject to an additional requirement that he “must not be in the company of a person under the age of 16 years unless accompanied by a responsible adult,” nor engage with any person under the age of 16 “in written or electronic communication ,” including through social media.
Last week, Sarah Monahan, Hughes’s former co-star and on-screen daughter, traveled from the United States to watch the parole application and once again face her abuser.
Despite the ruling from the parole board, Ms Monahan last week told the media she believed Hughes was still a risk.
“He’s an old man and he’s frail, but they don’t change,” she said outside court on May 27.
Ms Monahan is yet to comment on his release.
The ABC understands Hughes will be transferred from Long Bay Correctional Center to Villawood Detention Center ahead of his deportation.
Within the written determination, Interpol confirmed he would be required to report to police within three days of his return to the UK, and annually thereafter.
There is also a requirement to notify UK police if Hughes is going to stay for a period of at least 12 hours at a household where a child is present.
posted , updated