Officials Say Three Dead as Homes and School Shelled in Sloviansk

At least three people were killed and six wounded in Sloviansk, Donetsk, when overnight shelling on May 31 struck apartment blocks and a school, according to the head of the city’s Military-Civilian Administration, Vadim Lyakh. Donetsk Governor Pavlo Kirilenko said Russian forces carried out the strike, and that the three killed were civilians. A fourth civilian was killed the same day in Raihorodok, a village east of Sloviansk, Kirilenko added. On Wednesday, both Kirilenko and Lyakh said the following night had been relatively calm, with no casualties despite shelling in several areas, including Avdiivka, and a missile destroying three homes in Sloviansk and damaging several more. With Russian forces bearing down on Sloviansk from three sides, officials urged residents to evacuate. “The Russians are purposefully destroying our cities and villages. There are absolutely no safe places left in the area,” Kirilenko wrote on Facebook, according to a Google translation. “Evacuate! Evacuation saves lives!” he wrote. In a video message recorded on Wednesday near the homes destroyed in Sloviansk on Wednesday, Lyakh told residents to evacuate rather than wait for missiles to arrive. Credit: RFE/RL via Storyful

.

Leave a Comment