SA Police look for body of Geoffrey McLean in Andrews Farm wetlands

SA Police are searching wetlands in Adelaide’s northern suburbs for the body of a man who went missing last month, saying they cannot rule out that he may have died because of “foul play”.

Divers, mounted police and detectives have been at Stebonheath Park in Andrews Farm looking for the body of 55-year-old Geoffrey McLean.

Mr McLean was last seen on August 18, but a witness has told police he left his house at 4am on August 19, to meet with more than one person.

He was reported missing by his partner on August 29.

He lived on Leicester Grove, a street in Andrews Farm that ends at the Stebonheath Park wetlands.

Divers wearing black in water in wetlands behind a black chain-link fence
Police divers search the wetlands at Stebonheath Park in Andrews Farm today.(ABC News: Sara Tomevska)

Major Crime Detective Inspector Brett Featherby said police were looking for his body so they could exclude the possibility he was murdered.

“We can’t currently rule out that his disappearance is subject to foul play,” Inspector Featherby said.

“To date, we’ve been unable to locate any evidence of Geoffrey being alive and the last time we know he used his bank accounts was on August 18, of this year.”

Inspector Featherby said Mr McLean was “known to use drugs”.

“But we don’t know if that’s the reason why he’s missing and we can’t exclude that possibility, but we’re here today to exclude that he hasn’t died within this area,” he said.

“Statistically, it’s very common for missing persons to be located within close proximity of their home, but we can’t exclude his drug use as a reason for him having disappeared.”

Police described Mr McLean as 183cm tall, with a solid build and light brown hair, a full beard and blue eyes.

They have asked anyone who knew of any personal conflicts he had to contact police, along with people who may have dashcam footage of the area from the time when he was last seen.

The body of another man was found in the nearby Curtis Wetlands in Munno Para on Saturday, but police said his death was not suspicious.


Leave a Comment