A missing person cold case of 16 years has had a major breakthrough, with two men charged with the alleged murder of Wangoom man Christopher Jarvis.
- Wangoom man Christopher Jarvis has not been seen since 2006
- Former police officer Steven Frederick Johnson, 70, and Glenn Ernest Fenwick, 59, have been charged with murder
- Police say a public tip-off led to the arrests this week
Mr Jarvis vanished after his car was found on fire by a passer-by in the coastal Victorian town of Warrnambool on June 13, 2006.
His body was never found and police at the time said it was not suspicious.
However, police said a tip-off to the Missing Persons Unit led to the arrests of 59-year-old Glenn Ernest Fenwick from Warrnambool, and 70-year-old Steven Frederick Johnson, an ex-police officer from Wangoom, on Tuesday.
Both have been charged with murder.
Mr Fenwick appeared in court on Wednesday and Mr Johnson appeared in court on Thursday.
Mr Johnson’s defense lawyer, Xavier Farrelly, told the court his client suffered from a number of medical conditions including post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, depression, and had undergone a recent knee reconstruction.
He listed a number of custody management issues including the media reporting his client was a former police officer.
He said it was Mr Johnson’s first time in custody.
Meanwhile, outside of court, a police spokeswoman said there was nothing to suggest Mr Johnson had any professional connections with Warrnambool.
“We can confirm he did not serve as a member of Victoria Police in that area,” she said.
She did not say why Mr Johnson was discharged from the force in 1985.
‘It never sat well with us’
Mr Jarvis’s nephew, Jade McLaren, claims Mr Johnson was the landlord of the house Mr Jarvis shared with his partner and stepchildren on Warrne Road in Wangoom.
Police said Mr Jarvis was last seen leaving the property about 6.30am to go to his job at a Warrnambool trucking company, but he never showed.
When he didn’t arrive at work, staff contacted his partner about 7.30am.
Mr Jarvis’s silver 1991 Ford station wagon was found on fire half an hour later in dense coastal scrub at Thunder Point, a popular coastal lookout in Warrnambool.
An extensive search of the area failed to find Mr Jarvis.
The investigation was originally handled by local police as a missing person, and initially suggested his disappearance was not suspicious.
However, the cold case was reopened after investigators uncovered new information that suggested foul play and the involvement of other people.
Family digs deeper
Mr McLaren said the sudden and unexpected loss of Mr Jarvis — a father, uncle, brother and son — had a profound and lasting impact on his family.
He said he made his own inquiries as the years passed and the case grew colder.
He lodged a freedom of information request for documents from Victoria Police in September last year.
“We always thought something wasn’t quite right,” Mr McLaren said.
“All this time my family’s really suffered.
He said his family rejected a suggestion from police Mr Jarvis had taken his own life.
“We said ‘no way, he’s such a family man, he would never have left his kids’,” he said.
“That never sat well with us.
“The car burnt out just wasn’t consistent with the man we all knew.
“We wouldn’t let it go.
“This is just the start, this is going to be massive.”
The ABC broke the news on November 13 that the Missing Persons Unit had reopened Mr Jarvis’s case.
A press conference was held by detectives at the Warrnambool police station the next day calling for anyone with information to come forward.
Detective Senior Constable Alicia Reivers said at the time there were “multiple” persons of interest.
Mr Jarvis’s son Cale Jarvis and daughter Bree Jarvis made an emotional address to the media of the impact of not knowing what happened to their father.
Police raided properties in Wangoom and Warrnambool eight days later, and two men were arrested.
Mr Fenwick was charged with murder on Tuesday and Mr Johnson was charged with murder hours later.
Mr Fenwick and Mr Johnson have been remanded in custody.
Their cases are next due to be mentioned in court on April 21 next year.