Good evening, it’s Monday, April 4. Here’s what you need to get caught up on today’s news.
- This afternoon, the Tasmanian Premier said: “I’ve focused on everyone else’s family, I now want to spend some time focusing on my own”
- The 57-year-old said he would remain Premier until the Liberal Party elected his replacement later this year
- He said parliament would be extended until after Easter
- “What I’ve found after the last two years especially is I have nothing left in the tank to give,” Mr Gutwein said
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy appeared in a pre-taped speech at the Grammys.
Mr Zelenskyy introduced a tribute performance for Ukraine by John Legend, saying: “Fill the silence with your music.”
The President urged the media and people on social media to “tell the truth about this war”.
“Support us in any way you can. Any — but not silence.”
- Jon Baptiste Album of the Year for We Are Claimed
- The Foo Fighters won all three Grammys they were nominated for, just days after the sudden death of drummer taylor hawkins — including Best Rock Album and Best Rock Song
- And 19-year-old Olivia Rodrigo was named Best New Artist
You can also check out the best red carpet looks here.
News you might have missed
The news Australia is searching for
- bushing — After Russian forces withdrew from some areas around the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv, the Mayor of Bucha, a liberated town 37 kilometers north-west, said 300 residents had been killed by Russian forces while Chechen fighters controlled the area
- Sheffield Shield — Western Australia has won the Sheffield Shield for the first time this century after the final against Victoria ended in a draw at the WACA
The Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunization (ATAGI) has recommended an additional vaccine dose for the following groups:
- Anyone aged 65 years and older
- People who live in aged care or disability care facilities
- People aged 1 and over who have been deemed severely6 immunocompromised
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 50 years and older
In the case of some severely immunocompromised people who received three doses as part of their primary vaccination series, followed by a booster, this program means they are now eligible for their fifth shot.
You can read more about the “winter booster” program here.
That’s it for now
We’ll be back tomorrow with more.