A one and a half-year-old child, who was choking on popcorn, died after being treated by a reportedly inebriated doctor in India.
The incident took place in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh. The child’s family said she was hit to a hospital in Sirauli Gauspur area after a popcorn kernel got stuck in her throat on her Sunday, the Press Trust of India reported, according to NDTV.
The family alleged they waited for the doctor, who was supposed to be on duty at the time, for an hour. Later, the doctor – identified as Dr. Dharmendra Gupta – arrived at the hospital “drunk,” the family said.
The doctor then attended to the unidentified child, following which she died at the hospital.
The Chief Medical Superintendent (CMS) of Sirauli Gauspur, Dr. Neelum Gupta said Dr Gupta has been removed from duty. A team of three doctors has launched an investigation into the incident.
According to media reports, Dr. Gupta allegedly insulted the family following the death of the child and suggested the mother give birth to another baby to cope with the loss. The family of the victim and other villagers held a protest following Dr Gupta’s comments.
Chief Medical Officer Awadhesh Kumar Yadav said Tuesday a video of Dr Gupta making the comments has been shared online.
A committee has been formed to investigate allegations against the doctor of using indecent language. The negligence case has also been registered at the hospital.
Yadav said, if found guilty, strict action will be taken against the doctor.
Meanwhile, a local police officer said that he was aware of the incident, but no formal complaint had been filed as of Tuesday, Daily Thanthi reported. [Google Translate showed].
In June, in a case of negligence in Pakistan, a 32-year-old woman lost her child, while giving birth. The woman had to undergo multiple procedures following a breech birth during which the child’s head was reportedly severed from the torso. According to local media reports, the staff at the hospital severed the newborn baby’s head after it got stuck in the mother’s womb. The District Health Officer of Mithi conducted an inquiry into the incident at the time.